Leaving the UK

Any citizen of a Member State of the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland has the right to work, to seek work, to set up business or to provide services in any other Member State.

Just like the UK, every Member State has professions that are regulated and the competent authority in the country you wish to work may require you to obtain professional recognition of your qualifications. Directive 2005/36/EC, amended by Directive 2013/55/EU, applies to all EU citizens and those with EU rights wishing to practise a regulated profession in a Member State other than where they obtained their professional qualifications.

If you are moving from the UK to another Member State, you should check whether your profession is regulated.

If you have qualified in the UK and your profession is regulated in the Member State of the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland that you wish to practise in, then you will need to contact the appropriate Assistance Centre in your destination country. They will refer you to the authority responsible for giving access to the profession.

You may be required to demonstrate that your qualification constitutes regulated education and training. The qualifications meeting this requirement are determined by each Member State.

If a competent authority determines that your qualification and experience does not meet the standards required in their Member State, they may set you compensation measures.

We can help you find out what to do if your profession is unregulated in the UK and you wish to practise in a Member State where the profession is regulated.

For some professions, you may be able to use a European Professional Card to seek recognition in another Member State. We provide information on how to obtain a European Professional Card based upon experience or qualifications gained in the United Kingdom.

If you are seeking recognition in another Member State and have qualifying experience in a trade or craft listed in the Directive, you may require a Certificate of Experience.