European Professional Card Application Process

You can apply online for a European Professional Card. A European Professional Card can be used if you want to practise your profession in another EU country of a temporary and occasional basis, or if you wish to settle in another EU country and practise their permanently.

You can check the documents you need and the fees you will be required to pay on the European Professional Card website.

If you are applying for a European Professional Card, you may not be asked for translations of the following documents by the body processing your application in the Home State:

  • Proof of identity (passport or ID card)
  • Diplomas entitling automatic recognition, if issued in the Home State
  • Certificates issued by the European Professional Card issuing body, or other national bodies of the Home State, including:
    • Certificate of conformity
    • Certificate for a change of title of formal qualification
    • Certificate of acquired rights
    • Attestation of professional experience of 3 years (for applicants with third country qualifications)
    • Attestation of legal establishment
    • Certificates attesting:
      • Good character or repute
      • Absence of bankruptcy
      • No prohibition or suspension from practice
      • No criminal convictions

However, if there are ‘duly justified doubts’, the Host State may ask for translations when an EPC file has been transferred to them. If the Host State does require translations, they should send you a message explaining what the ‘duly justified doubts’ are.

Once you have your European Professional Card, its validity can be checked online using the reference number on your certificate.